Comments posted (almost all are by other exhibiting groups) on the Town Hall Wall featured at the Alliance’s info table, Muhlenberg College, Earth Day, 4-19-13, in response to question:
“What Goals Would You Include in a
Sustainability Blueprint for the Lehigh Valley?”
More pop-up vegetable gardens
Neshanic Valley Beekeepers:
- Incentives for farms offering local product
- Education at all focusing on Environmental issues
- Streamlined support for action groups (special interests)
- Rejection of GMO product
- Enforcement of truth in labeling for “smart consumerism”
Ban Fracking! in PA!
More Gardens! More Farmers’ Markets!
Use Less plastic in your daily life!
BAN PLASTIC BAGS!!!!!!!
Local farms for public schools
- Encourage large commercial growers (for McDonalds, Walmart, etc) to buy/grow organically grown products
- Provide food banks & soup kitchens with “left over” food products instead of throwing them away
Ban fracking in PA (start by municipality)
Investment in wind & solar energy – GREEN JOBS
No privatized water
More access to recycling / Decrease waste
Community Gardens / Co-ops
Healthy food in public schools (maybe from local farms)
Ban plastic bags
Increase green space (especially around old, unused buildings)
- Enhanced Public Transportation – Trains, Bus Service within & Between Neighboring Counties
- Renewable Energy Incentives / Green Building Incentives
- Urban Farms
- Support for Organic Farms via Organized Action Against Sludge, CAFOs, GMOs, etc – Buy Local Provides None of These Assurances
- Single Payer Advocacy
- Join Berks Gas Truth and 350 Berks & Lehigh Valley Climate Action!!!
Recycling incentives – better recycling creates cleaner environments – recycling can create revenue
- energy saving — ex: burn methane from waste treatment plant, use solar, wind
- promote outdoor use — ex: more sidewalks to stores
- building codes with green incentives
- public transportation
Increase the recycling Diversion rate.
- Better/more access to hazardous goods disposal & recycling
- Information campaign to discourage paved yards and driveways in dense urban areas, to allow for groundwater runoff
Considering how windy it is, what about Wind Power?
Everyone has a vegetable garden
Clean free flowing springs
Happy farm animals