BCWG: Progressive Publication Project
BCWG is trying out the printing of a progressive publication as a tool for building a “popular front” and for mobilizing communities.
Ah, the power of the printed word! There’s something empowering about holding in one’s hands a work of words and art and images that resonate, that re-charge activist energies, re-focus attention on major matters of concern, and help to re-imagine the future.
The Beyond Capitalism Working Group of the Alliance invites individuals and organizations to be participants in the initiation of a new progressive publication for the Lehigh Valley.
- Forces us to think about who we are
- Forces us into doing things, carrying out activities that connect us to the community
- Provides us with regular, ongoing activities: producing and distributing the publication and discussing the ideas and actions being presented in it
- Keeping the community informed about what’s going on in the Greater Lehigh Valley
- Provides theoretical perspectives, alternative thinking, questioning
- Can serve to mobilize people – for what?
- Collaborative: needs to involve and integrate individuals and organizations into “popular front” – may be published in tandem with other newsletters, magazines, monthlies, irregulars.
Promotional issue, which is to be presented to others we’d like to involve.
- Format: 8 1/2″ x 11″, b&w, 8 to 12 pages, similar to LEPOCO newsletter.
- 50 to 100 copies for internal circulation: i.e., targeted to people and organizations we think would / should become part of this project
- First issue recipients: need to develop list of targeted people and organizations.
- Monday: 2/26/2018 – at BCWG meeting: planning session
- Monday: 2/26/2018 – deadline for submission of work
- Monday: 3/19/2018 – publication