The U.S. was built through settler colonialism, which involves taking over lands already in use by other people, displacing the people and often destroying their cultures. (Sometimes the goal was simply to use the land for their own settlements; in other cases the goal was to extract minerals & other resources. In the U.S. & Canada, settlers not only made war on the Indigenous peoples, they made a conscious and concerted effort to burn their cultures out of the children’s mind through systems of residential schools.
The most visible example of settler colonialism in progress today is Israel’s illegal occupation of territory in Palestine.
We are just beginning to develop this topic, but here are some related posts on this website:
- Decolonizing America for a Sustainable Future
- Acknowledging the Lenni-Lenape
- Columbus Day
- Thanksgiving & Colonialism
- We must fully unpack the complicated evils of our justice system in order to build the sophisticated solutions we need
- The Myth of the Wheat King and the Killing of Colten Boushi | The Conversation
- White People Have No Culture | Terra Incognita
- Why I’m Fighting to decolonize Canada’s Education System | Flare
- Sexual Assault and Violence Across Industries… | Terra Incognita
- The Colonial Roots of Gun Culture | In These Times
- As We Have Always Done, by Leanne Betasamosake Simpson
- When They Call You a Terrorist, by Patrisse Khan-Cullors & ashe bandele