- Athletic Playing Fields: Choosing Safer Options for Health and the Environment [PDF]
- Natural Grass Playing Fields in Springfield, MA (Case Study [PDF]
- ‘Running Out of Room’: How old turf fields raise potential environmental and health concerns
November 2017 –
- Synthetic Turf: Industry Claims vs. the Science. Environment & Human Health, Inc. [EHHI]. November 2017. More clear evidence of risks & problems with synthetic turf.
August 2017 –
- Synthetic Turf update [August 2017] – includes links to current news reports
June 2017 —
- How the Synthetic Turf Industry Is Bypassing Children’s Safety – Nancy Alderman of Environment & Human Health recaps current state of knowledge on this critical health issue for children. (The Hill, 26 June 2017)
August 2016 –
- Schools in South Korea removing synthetic turf in favor of natural grass fields, with funding provided by the Office of Education.
Source: ‘Schools move away from artificial turf‘. Korea Times, 28 April 2016.
May 2016 –
- Players’ union in France demands natural turf
February 2016 –
- EPA announces plans for a multi-year joint study with the Centers for Disease Control and the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
January 2016 – More reports & news coverage:
NBC News coverage (October 2015):
- Mom of Goalie Who Died of Cancer Wants Answers on Artificial Turf
- Senators Call for ‘Independent’ Crumb Rubber Turf Study
- Congress Asks EPA If Crumb Rubber Turf Is Safe for Young Athletes
- Feds Won’t Say If Artificial Turf on Your Kid’s Soccer Field Is Safe
- ESPN: Turf Wars: How Safe Are The Fields Where We Play?
- Exposure to rubber nanoparticles could lead to serious health issues | Turf & Recreation news
- EPA Says Harm Not Proven, Calls for More-Comprehensive Studies
September 2015 – Links to new findings and reports on synthetic turf:
- Grass not cheaper on the artificial side | Clay Center Dispatch (8 September 2014)
- Yale analysis of crumb rubber infill and playground mulch shows dozens of carcinogens (June 2015)
- What Is Synthetic Turf?
- What Do Athletes Think?
- Health & Safety Concerns
- Turf Burns – First Aid & Treatment
- Antibiotic-Resistant Infections – MRSA
- Environmental Pros & Cons
- Cost – Natural Turf v. Synthetic
- Play It Safe – Recommendations for Athletes, Parents, & Institutions
- Sources & Links for More Information
- Open Letter to Anyone Considering Synthetic Turf
These pages on Synthetic Turf are based on research and analysis completed in May 2015 by Kendall Garden [Lehigh ’16] and Peter Crownfield. Contact us by email
[updated 12 September 2015]