About the Alliance and the 2019 Summer Internship Project on Climate Action Planning
The Alliance for Sustainable Communities–Lehigh Valley is a nonprofit organization that focuses on a wide variety of environmental and social justice issues that contribute to more-sustainable communities. Based in Bethlehem, PA, the Alliance has been active since 2003 and offers summer, fall, and spring internships to college students in the area to work on projects with the aim of creating a more sustainable Lehigh Valley.
This summer, Courtney Giardina (Lehigh University ’20), Elizabeth Harmon (Lafayette College ’21), and Katherine Volpe (Lehigh University ’21), researched and developed guidelines that municipalities in the Lehigh Valley could follow to create more environmentally sustainable communities.
Previous projects have tackled topics such as Brewing Sustainability (sustainability for the craft brewing industry), Sustainability for Independent Cafés and Restaurants, Sustainability Impact Assessments, Interdisciplinary Teaching on Climate and Sustainability, Campus Sustainability (various), and Sustainability in Healthcare.
This report would not have been possible without the thoughtful help and generous guidance that we received from many individuals in our community and in the climate action community.
- Melanie Attieh, Sunrise Movement Hub, Lehigh Valley
- Olivia Barz, Environmental Policy Design graduate student Lehigh University
- Rachel Hogan Carr, Nurture Nature Center
- Michael DeCrosta, Southside Arts District
- Ashley Dohe, Easton Environmental Advisory Council
- Larry Eighmy, The Stone House Group
- Charles Elliott, Easton Planning Commission
- Lauren Fosbenner, Community Fellows Program, Lehigh University
- Robert Freeman, PA State Representative
- Mariah Gladstone, member of Climate Action Planning team, Whitefish, MT,
- Brian Hillard, Bethlehem Environmental Advisory Council
- Arundhati (Tinku) Khanwalker, Allentown Environmental Advisory Council
- Carl Manges, Easton Planning Bureau
- Robert Novatnack, Emergency Management & Communications Center, City of Bethlehem
- John Quigley, Harrisburg University Center for Environment, Energy, & Economy
- Lynn Rothman, Bethlehem Environmental Advisory Council
- Doug Roysdon, Sierra Club – Lehigh Valley Group
- Kate Semmens-Berti, Nurture Nature Center
- Scott Slingerland, CAT — Coalition for Appropriate Transportation
- Anna Smith, Community Action Development Corporation of Bethlehem
- Dan Sobrinski, Sustainability, Energy, and Climate Change, WSP Consulting
- Greg Zebrowski, Lehigh Valley Planning Commission
For more information about this project or about the Alliance’s internship programs, contact Peter Crownfield [firstname.lastname@example.org]