The Steering Committee of the Alliance for Sustainable Communities-Lehigh Valley supports further consideration of the Transition Town approach for moving communities from oil dependency to local resilience. Specifically, we:
- Commend the Transition Movement’s recognition of the urgent need to address the crises that are upon us, prominently peak oil, global climate change, and economic instability;
- Agree that it is imperative to build and use grassroots involvement, rather than top-down directives, to create the community resilience needed in the face of these crises; and
- Believe that the Transition approach provides ways to mobilize that grassroots involvement.
To further our consideration of the Transition Town approach, we:
- Have committed to examining the available information about it, specifically Rob Hopkins’ The Transition Handbook: From oil dependency to local resilience;
- Are planning to take the Transition training course, possibly hosting one such course here in the Lehigh Valley;
- Will be encouraging other organizations and individuals in the Greater Lehigh Valley to join us in considering adoption of this approach – specifically, we are preparing an essay to be included in the compendium that is to be given to those planning to attend the September 2010 Sustainability Summit.