[See updates below]
Our so-called leaders from around the world seem to be incapable of taking the decisive action that is essential. (Maybe we should call it COP-OUT 18‽) Even the World Bank recently issued a report saying the consequences of world inaction on global warming will be ‘catastrophic’. I can see why the T-shirt pictured above is popular among participating youth!
There’s an important local connection to the COP [Conference of the Parties] process: Moravian College is one of the few colleges that has official Observer status at COP—quite a distinction!
Here are links to two Huffington Post articles quoting Marla Bianca, a student from Moravian who was at COP-18:
- UN Climate Change Youth Involvement: A Call to Action
- UN Climate Conference: Feeling the Frustration of Youth
The Moravian College at the UNFCCC blog also featured two posts by Dr. Diane Husic, chair of the Moravian College Biology Department, who was also at COP-18:
UPDATE: There have been quite a few good reports on the current climate crisis and the underwhelming lack of action. I recommend the following:
- COP18 Failed to Turn Down the Heat, by Bianca Jagger on Huffington Post
- The Latest Predictions on Climate Change Should Shock Us Into Action, by World Bank President Jim Yong Kim
- Turn Down the Heat: Why a 4°C Warmer World Must Be Avoided – the report, published by the World Bank, that stirred things up in Doha—but not enough to produce the needed action.
PDF files: [Full Report] [Executive Summary]