The term campus sustainability encompasses improving campus operations, improving curriculum & research, and real community engagement. While all of these are important, the impending climate tsunami requires much more serious efforts to reduce energy & GHG, to serve sustainably-grown food, and to model sustainable practices for the community.
NOTE: This section deals with sustainability in higher education; if your primary interest is in K–12 schools, see Sustainability in Schools.
Campus sustainability resources (mostly from student internship projects)
- Campus Food – Is it sustainable & Healthy?
- Synthetic Turf
- Boost Endowment Returns and Improve Campus Sustainability
- Many of the reports prepared as part of our internship program are valuable sources of up-to-date information and ideas.
- Additional Campus Sustainability Resources
- Sustainable Solutions (Richard Niesenbaum, director of sustainability studies at Muhlenberg College)
- The Sustainable Learning Community (Kelly, et al, 2009)
- Sustainability in Higher Education (Barlett & Chase, 2013) [the successor to their 2004 Sustainability on Campus].
- Sustainable Campus Dining Resources
- Elements of Campus Sustainability