Considering the urgent IPCC report early last fall, the updated National Climate Assessment, and the positive (but less-than-optimal) results from COP24, effective climate-action planning is clearly more urgent than ever.
In this project, a small team of interns will work on climate action planning in the Lehigh Valley. Theywill develop a menu of options that can be used to implement an effective climate action plan. In addition to purely technical concerns, we will also consider, health, environment, & community, including environmental justice & cultural sustainability. (This may involve assisting with work that municipalities have already started.)
Interns will work on a combination of the following tasks and will gain a strong understanding of ways to reduce GHG, develop plans for mitigation & adaptation, and strengthen their project development and project management skills:
- Research climate action plans by communities and institutions, including colleges & universities.
- Identify actions the community can take to implement a plan, including setting GHG-reduction targets, amending or adopting ordinances & regulations to encourage or require climate-friendly action
- Explore ways to increase community awareness of the urgent need for climate action
- Develop a presentation for community & campus audiences to share your insights and raise awareness of the need for action
- Write articles and/or blog posts on various aspects of global warming & climate change.
The Alliance is not able to pay summer interns, but many colleges support students completing unpaid internships with stipends and/or other benefits. Most of our summer interns work 25–30 hr/wk, but it is possible to structure an internship to require as little as 15 hr/wk for students who need to work. Recent summer projects included a Sustainability Impact Assessment , climate & sustainability for schools [2014 & 2016], and Sustainable Campus Dining Resources .
If you are interested in this project, please contact me ASAP!
—Peter Crownfield, internship coordinator
[updated 20 February 2019]