Climate Action Plan
Considering the urgent IPCC report early last fall, the updated National Climate Assessment, and the positive (but less-than-optimal) results from COP24, effective climate-action planning is clearly more urgent than ever.
In this project, a small team of interns will help develop a climate action plan with a city or county in the Lehigh Valley. (This may involve assisting with work that municipalities have already started.) In addition to purely technical concerns, we will also consider, health, environment, & community, including environmental justice & cultural sustainability.
Interns will develop a menu of options that can be used to implement an effective climate action plan. They will work on a combination of the following tasks and will gain a strong understanding of ways to reduce GHG, develop plans for mitigation & adaptation, and strengthen their project development and project management skills:
- Research climate action plans by communities and institutions, including colleges & universities.
- Identify actions the community can take to implement a plan, including setting GHG-reduction targets, amending or adopting ordinances & regulations to encourage or require climate-friendly action
- Explore ways to increase community awareness of the urgent need for climate action
- Develop a presentation for community & campus audiences to share your insights and raise awareness of the need for action
- Write articles and/or blog posts on various aspects of global warming & climate change.
If you are interested in this project, please contact me ASAP!
—Peter Crownfield, internship coordinator