- Implementing Green Stormwater Infrastructure to Address the Impacts of Runoff, by Kendall O’Farrell, addresses climate-adaptation concerns described in Bethlehem’s CAP. It shows how to reduce particulate matter in stormwater through living buffers as well as infiltrating more of the water into the ground instead of it all going into the storm sewer system.
- Implementing Bethlehem’s Climate Action Plan — Interns Devon Jewell [Moravian Academy ‘23], Harrison Kim [Parkland High School ‘22], Alexandra Ludman, [University of Delaware ’21], Margaux Petruska [Lehigh University ’21], and Isaac Weber [Dartmouth College ‘22] researched and developed priorities for implementing the Bethlehem Climate Action Plan — for the City (above), for helping developers be more sustainable, and for integrating climate change education in the schools. Internship: Climate Action Planning PDF Versions
PDF reports: Implementing Bethlehem’s Climate Action Plan – Policy Brief (PDF), Climate Change Education (PDF), Build Sustainably — for Business Success and a Livable Future (PDF)
- Enhancing Education Through Creative Instruction and Student-Directed Projects, by Clare Meehan [Lafayette ’21], May 2021 – Internship: Community & Restorative Justice
- Anti-racist Curriculum Resources – prepared for BASD by Sarah Bender [Lafayette ’21], 2020 – Internship: Community & Restorative Justice
- Community & Restorative Justice Teaching Resources, by Sumini Siyambalapitiya [Lafayette ’21] – Internship: Community & Restorative Justice (2020)
- How Can We Connect Local Food Businesses with Local Agriculture? – (Jessica Levy [Lehigh 2020 & Hannah Provost], 2020 – Internship: Healthy Food for Healthy Communities
- Brewing Sustainability – This project on sustainability in the craft brewing industry was prompted by the ever-increasing number of small breweries and brewpubs in the Lehigh Valley and by the realization that brewing is quite an energy-intensive process and therefore a GHG-intensive process. (2020) [Olivia Barz, Lehigh ’19] [Brewing Sustainability PDF]
- Sustainability for Independent Cafés & Restaurants –2019 (Emma Coppock Lehigh ’20, Marayna Dorsey, Shippensburg ’20, Joseph Yashur [Cedar Crest College ’20]
- Advocating for Change in the Criminal Justice System – this project examined the many injustices in the justice system and successful ways some communities deal with these problems. Victoria Campbell [Lehigh ’20] created a proposal for colleges & universities in the Lehigh Valley to hold a week focusing on these systemic problems and ways to solve them. – Internship: Community & Restorative Justice (2019)
- Save the Bees (& All Pollinators) –2019 [Claire Todaro, Parkland HS ’20]
- Climate Action Planning – Courtney Giardina [Lehigh ’20], Elizabeth Harmon [Lafayette ’20], Katherine Volpe [Lehigh ’20], and Kaelyn Gormley [Lafayette ’22].
- Sustainability Impact Assessment – looking at the Da Vinci Science City project proposal for Easton, prepared by Olivia Barz (Lehigh University ’19), Ryan Dougherty (Lafayette College ’19), Harris Eisenhardt (SUNY – ESF ’19), Ashley Kushner (Lehigh University ’19), Brandy Moser (Boston University ’21). 2018. [Recap with downloadable PDF]
2017 & earlier
- Building Community: Respect, Understanding and Collaboration between Police and Citizens, by Emily Kim [Lafayette ’18] – Internship: Community & Restorative Justice (2017)
- Lafayette Dining Services (2010), by Christina DeSalva [Lafayette ’12]. Internship: Food & Public Health
- Sustainability in Businesses that Serve Food… (Report, 2010), by Jim LaRose [MBA student at Lehigh]
- Dining Services at Lehigh ( 2010), by Brittany Rodak [Lehigh ’12]. Internship: Food & Public Health
- Healthy Food for Healthy Communities (2010), by Kaylee Christ & Ali Schklair [Muhlenberg ’12]. Internship: Sustainability & Public Health
- Impacts of Sustainable and Industrial Agriculture on Human Health (December 2009), by Codi Gauker [Moravian ’11]. Internship: Food & Health
- Changing Communications in a Warming World – An analysis of the failures of environmental education and the lack of clear communication during natural disasters, by Courtney Cohen [Lafayette ’20]. Independent Study for Community Planning for Resilience & Sustainability. [PDF]
- Health concerns with synthetic turf & Play It Safe – research & original poster by Kendall Garden, Lehigh ’16. Internship: Campus Sustainability (2015)
- Exploring Preliminary Recommendations for the BASD Climate and Sustainability Commitment, by Christina Cilento, Nicole Karsch, & Hanna Brosky. (Interim report, August 2014) [BASD-CSC-report-2014.pdf]. Internship: Climate & Sustainability in Schools.
- Climate and Sustainability Commitment for Bethlehem Area School District (April 2014), by Lindsay Meiman [Lehigh ’14]. Internship: Climate Action. BASD Commitment + chart [PDF includes commitment as adopted plus preliminary draft of action steps].
- Fracking the Marcellus — Will Pennsylvania Be Safe or Sorry poster?(Poster, May 2011), by Margaret Allen [Lehigh ’12] & Sebastian Grant-Lucania [Lehigh ’11]. Internship: Public Health & Sustainability (Grant), Communications & Media (Margaret) (Note: This is a low-resolution version of the poster.)
- Sustainability in Healthcare – Preliminary Recommendations (2009), by Brenna Bowman [Lehigh ’11]. Internship: Campus Sustainability
- Global Warning: Why the proper spread and use of information on college campuses is necessary for combating climate change, by Katherine Stevens. [Lafayette 2015.pdf] Internship: Campus Sustainability.
- Beyond Recycling: A Call to Institutionalize Sustainability at Moravian College (2013), by Garth Denton-Borhaug [Moravian ’13]. Internship: Campus Sustainability [includes attachments; file size ~ 3 MB] Garth also wrote ‘Moravian College at the United Nations Climate Negotiations‘ for the 2013 Sustainable Lehigh Valley booklet.
- Sustainability & Muhlenberg (2013), by Leah Boecker [Muhlenberg ’15]. Internship: Communications & Media
Leah’s primary work was to analyze, edit, and rewrite web pages on the Alliance website and develop a concept for a new Alliance brochure; she also wrote ‘Sustainability and the Rights of Future Generations’ for the 2013 Sustainable Lehigh Valley directory and the report listed above.
- Reducing GHG Emissions at Moravian College (2012), by Nicole Belanger [Moravian ’13]. (Recommendations in connection with Nicole’s presentation at Moravian.) Internship: Campus Sustainability.
- Save Money, Your Health, & the Environment… (Poster, 2011), by Julia Ward [Lafayette ’13]. Internship: Public Health & Sustainability (Note: This is a low-resolution version of the poster.)
Student essays published in the Sustainable Lehigh Valley directory:
- Adaptive Reuse of Old Buildings, by Hannae Pavlick (2006) [Hannae was then a student at Liberty High School
- Campus Sustainability Initiative, by Elyse Jurgen (2007)
- Local Communities, the First Step Towards a Cooler World, by Lindsay Chamberlain (2007) [Lindsay completed a Climate Protection Internship]
- Whatever We Do to the Web of Life, We Do to Ourselves, by Jacy Good (2008) [In the fall of 2007, Jacy was the first campus sustainability intern at Muhlenberg College]
- The Promise of Permaculture, by Annie Hasz (2008) [Annie was then a student at Warren Wilson College and later coordinated the Maze Garden in SouthSide Bethlehem]
- IDon’tNeedtheInternettoMakeaDifference.org, by Emily McGlynn (2008) [Emily was a student at Bryn Mawr College who had worked with the Alliance when she attended the Lehigh Valley High School for the Performing Arts]
- Equality Leads us to a Sustainable Valley, by Adrian Shanker (2008) [Adrian was a junior at Muhlenberg College]
- Local for the Future, by Christina Bianco (2009) [Christina was a student at Lehigh University doing a Climate Protection internship]
- College Students Take a Look Ahead, by Jennifer Menegus (2009)
- Evolve Towards Involvement, by Alexandra Edelstein (2010)
- Rekindling Local Democracy, by Jessica Stuart (2010) [Jessica was a Community Fellow at Lehigh University]
- Sustainability in the Workplace, by Rachel LeWitt
- A Growing Community, by Jennifer Bell (2012) [Jennifer had completed a campus sustainability internship and an independent study on campus food while a student at Lafayette College and was then working as the manager of the organic farm at Lafayette.]
- Moravian College at the United Nations Climate Negotiations, by Garth Denton-Borhaug (2013) [Garth was a senior at Moravian College and also completed a campus sustainability internship.]
- Sustainability and the Rights of Future Generations, by Leah Boecker (2013) [Leah was a sophomore at Muhlenberg College and completed a Communication & Media internship.]
- Forgoing Fossil Fuels, Finally, by Rebecca Canright (2016). Rebecca was finishing up her senior year at North Hunterdon HS.
- The Real Cost of Food, by Stephanie Bennett (2016) Stephanie recently completed her Master’s degree in Environmental Policy Design at Lehigh University.
- The Importance of Teaching About Food, Climate, and Sustainability, by Alyssa Fama (2016) Alyssa is a senior at Kutztown University, with a major in Professional Writing.
- Colleges Lead the Way Towards Sustainability, by Samantha Keenan (2016) Samantha is a senior English major at Moravian College.
- Internships with the Alliance
- Internship Structure & Expectations
- Previous Interns’ Experiences
- Reports, Posters, and Articles by Interns
- Current Internship Opportunities
- How to Apply for an Internship
- Completed Internships, since 2004