The increasingly rapid progress of global warming & climate change has created an emergency that demands dramatic action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions [GHG]. Unfortunately, we have reached the point where the tsunami is already on its way, so we also need to develop measures to adapt to rapidly-changing conditions. This internship will explore key issues in climate action and climate justice — and helping to create the needed change.
We need to put an end to the deadly business-as-usual mindset!
- How can we engage the entire community to create change? (Many Climate Action Plans are developed with minimal engagement of the community at large, and without much attention to how it will impact low-income residents and BIPOC.)
- How will communities adapt to the coming changes? (While it is important to take aggressive action to reduce GHG emissions, we need to pay attention to how we will live with the changes that can no longer be avoided.)
- How can we integrate the most vulnerable populations? (It is harder for some people, especially those with limited income, to take recommended steps to mitigate and/or adapt to climate change?)
- What are the forces that create barriers to progress? – It has been obvious for at least 30 years that global warming would create unprecedented climate crises — but even today, there is far too little progress in reducing emissions.
Interns will work on some or all of the following tasks and will gain a strong understanding GHG reduction, what’s involved in adaptation, and environmental justice / climate justice — including justice for children and future generations.
- Help bring a stronger climate focus to the 2022 Sustainable Lehigh Valley booklet.
- Assist with a performing arts workshop series in local schools.
- Assist with continuing development of the Teaching Climate website.
- Develop a presentation for community & campus audiences to share insights and raise awareness that we are in a climate emergency and need robust action now
- Develop materials such as reports, opinion pieces, and/or blog posts on various aspects of global warming & the climate emergency.
[Updated August 2023]
- How to Apply for an Internship
- Internship Structure & Expectations
- Internships with the Alliance
- Previous Interns’ Experiences
- Reports, Posters, and Articles by Interns
- Current Internship Opportunities
- Completed Internships, since 2004