We will take our long-standing interest in food to a new level, looking at impacts on climate, the environment, health, and social justice. We start from the assumption that food must contribute to the health of the individual who eats it and of the community as a whole, including how and where it is grown.
There are many possible approaches to the area covered by this internship. For example:
- What is healthy food? (See food.sustainlv.org for more information.)
- What are the barriers to a sustainable food system?
- How can marketing be used to promote healthy, sustainable dining?
This internship can take several different directions, depending on the intern’s specific interest. For example, we could look at ways to implement concepts such as environmental nutrition (as pioneered by Health Care Without Harm), why food served by institutions & restaurants — on campus and in the community — often undermines health & contributes to climate change, or impacts of the industrialized food system.
The specific activities are based partly on what is happening in the community at the time, but an intern can expect to work on some or all of the following:
- Understand and update research on environmental nutrition and showing the effects of the industrialized food system
- Meet with food-system stakeholders
- Engage and work with community organizations to develop and implement strategies to improve the food system
- Take action to raise both public & professional awareness of the need to purchase and serve food that is grown without harmful chemicals, comes from local farms, and for which food producers and workers are paid fairly
- Create posters, articles, fact sheets, and/or oral presentations to groups to raise awareness various aspects of sustainability in the food system
- Develop ways to reduce waste by eliminating single-use serving products and promoting more effective recycling & composting; work for surplus food to be donated to local agencies and all remaining food waste to be composted
Some previous interns’ work on food and health:
- Impacts of Sustainable and Industrial Agriculture on Human Health
- Healthy Food for Healthy Communities
- Sustainable Campus Dining – Resources
- Sustainability in Businesses That Serve Food
- Campus Food – Is It Sustainable & Healthy?
Updated July 2019