The increasingly rapid progress of global warming & climate change has created an urgent need for dramatic action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions [GHG] and adapt to the rapidly-changing climate. We need to put an end to the pervasive business-as-usual mindset.
This internship can be framed in a number of ways, depending on the student’s particular interests and ideas. For example:
- How can we engage the entire community to create effective plans? – Many Climate Action Plans are developed with minimal engagement of the community at large, and without much attention to how it will impact low-income residents and POC.
- How will communities adapt to the coming changes? – While it is important to take aggressive action to reduce GHG emissions, we have reached the point where the tsunami is already on its way, and we need to pay attention to how we will live with the changes that can no longer be avoided.
- What are the forces that create barriers to real progress? – It has been obvious for at least 30 years that global warming would create unprecedented climate crises — but even today, there is far too little progress in reducing emissions.
Interns will work on a combination of the following tasks and will gain a strong understanding of ways to reduce GHG, develop plans for adaptation, and strengthen their project development and project management skills:
- Research climate action plans by communities and institutions, including colleges & universities.
- Identify a specific community or institution here in the Lehigh Valley that could develop or improve a climate action plan
- Explore ways to increase community awareness of the urgent need for climate action
- Develop a presentation for community & campus audiences to share your insights and raise awareness of the need for action
- Write articles and/or blog posts on various aspects of campus sustainability
[Updated Ju,y 2019]
- How to Apply for an Internship
- Internship Structure & Expectations
- Internships with the Alliance
- Previous Interns’ Experiences
- Reports, Posters, and Articles by Interns
- Current Internship Opportunities
- Completed Internships, since 2004