Help Create a Just & Sustainable world!
Rethink the System, Work for Change
Do you want to use your talents, insight, and academic knowledge to help create a better world? Can we end the destructive mindset that continues ‘business-as-usual’ even in the face of overwhelming evidence of the harm it causes?
If you are out of the Lehigh Valley area due to coronavirus restrictions, many of our internships can be done remotely, including meeting with key people in the community.
(Check with internship coordinator Peter Crownfield.)
The most important thing I did during my internship was to meet people and find out how many factors go into changing the way something is done.… I learned how to find out about things that tend to be hidden, talk to people about things they would rather pretend do not exist, and solve problems that seem overwhelming at first glance.” (JT, Lafayette College)
Starting in January 2022, our issue-focused internships will take an even more holistic approach — as before, many internships will focus on a specific issue, but many of these will be framed in terms of their relationship to Climate Action. (Some specific possibilities are listed below.) Please note that each internship allows for several variations, based in part on the student’s field of study or personal interests.
Additional options are listed below, and we also now offer a non-credit version of our Editing & Publishing internship, with flexible hours & start dates. Editing & Publishing (non-credit)
Be sure to read Is an Alliance internship right for you? below.
A sampling of previous internships that might interest you
- Campus Sustainability
- Climate Action!
- Communication (in relation to climate, environment, & social justice)
- Community Rights | Rights of Nature
- Editing & Publishing (credit)
- Editing & Publishing (non-credit – open now)
- Community & Restorative Justice
- Community Planning for Resilience & Sustainability
- Decolonize! – how can we undue some of the damage rom settlers-colonialism?
- The Future of Food
- Healthy Food for Healthy Communities (see The Future of Food)
- Let’s Talk About Climate! [for teachers & schools]
- Let’s Talk About Food! [for teachers & schools]
- Law Enforcement & the Justice System
- Democracy in Action | Act For Change
- Fair Trade
- Food for Justice, Food for Life
- Health Impacts of Synthetic Turf
- Public Health [Food, air quality, water quality, environmental pollution]
- Sustainability in Business
- Overcoming Barriers to Sustainability [special opportunity for the right person]
- Urban Ecology
Is an Alliance internship right for you? Alliance internships combine research, analysis, and activism to raise both public & professional awareness on critical topics. (And they may sometimes involve advocating controversial issues or positions.) Most internships involve meeting with a variety of people in the community.
“Working with the Alliance allowed me to collaborate with individuals who shared my passion for sustainability, as well as voice my own ideas…. a truly rewarding and enjoyable experience…” (LB, Muhlenberg College)
We developed many of our internships in response to student requests, so please contact us if you are interested in an internship that’s not listed. We generally offer summer internships as well. Contact internship coordinator Peter Crownfield for more information.
For more information on any of these internships, send an email to internship coordinator Peter Crownfield.
Most schools allow you to change courses without penalty during the first week or two of the semester, but we urge you to apply well in advance if possible.
Questions? — Send an email to internship coordinator Peter Crownfield
NOTE: It is our intent to offer listed internships in the coming term, but availability may change or a given internship may be filled. Some internships may not be offered at all colleges.
Updated April 2020