Alliance Position Papers
- Endorsing the Transition Towns model for local community decision-making
- Supporting the Chambersburg Declaration & Community Rights Networking
- Calling for an end to drilling for natural gas in the Marcellus Shale
- Calling for a Regional Approach to Energy v. Power Lines
- Identifying Casino Gambling as a threat to communities
Other Positions & Endorsements:
- Opposition to the food irradiation facility in Milford Township, such opposition being led by NoCobalt-4-Food. (7/20/2003)
- The Pennsylvania Campaign for Clean Water and its effort to protect our water resources – membership in the Campaign conferred. (8/27/2003). [Follow-up action approved: co-signing 9/22/2003 letters to Arlen Specter and Jim Greenwood urging them to sign the “Dear Colleague letter concerning the Clean Water Act”.]
- The Third Annual Earth Charter Community Summits, Oct 11, 2003 at Drexel University, Philadelphia – became one of many co-sponsors. (9/30/2003)
- The BE SAFE Platform, a collaborative initiative sponsored by Rachel’s Environmental News, the Center for Health, Environment & Justice, and the Environmental Health Alliance, to build a coalition for pollution prevention and to hold corporations and government accountable for protecting human health and the environment. (10/14/2003)
- Joining with the Center for Lesbian and Gay Civil Rights, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), and others, as amicus curiae in support of the City of Allentown’s Gender Orientation Protection Ordinance. (10/14/2003)
- The Bill of Rights Defense Committee of the Lehigh Valley and its campaign to inform people about the USA PATRIOT Act and encourage local communities to pass resolutions to protect the civil liberties of all residents. (11/11/2003)
- Dedication of the week of November 23-29 as Global Week of Action Against Food Irradiation and the accompanying dedication statement. (11/18/2003)
- We are a member of the Pennsylvania Campaign for Clean Water and have signed-on to various letters issued by the Campaign, most recently, their February 20, 2007 Letter to Deputy Secretary Cathleen Myers, PA Department of Environmental Protection, re: Sewage – Act 537.
- We are active with the Clean Air Task Force, signing on to various letters issued, most recently, their February 20, 2007 letter to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency re: Proposed Federal Implementation Plan Requirements for Clean Air Mercury Rule.
- We have been actively involved with campaigns re: Climate Protection Agreements that have resulted in signings by the Mayors of Allentown, Bethlehem and Easton; County Executives John Stoffa (Northampton County) and Don Cunningham (Lehigh County); and the Bethlehem Area School District.