Obtaining more of our food from local sources is a great way to strengthen the local economy and obtain fresh, healthful food at the same time.
If we’re going to increase local food production, of course, it’s essential to make sure it’s grown without artificial fertilizers or pesticides. Livestock, poultry, dairy, and egg production should be pasture-based, with no use of growth hormones or non-therapeutic antibiotics and no inhumane treatment of the animals.
More information and resources will be incorporated in the future, but here are some excellent resources related to local food: [all in PDF format]
- Regional Food Hub Resource Guide [USDA]
- Local Food Economy study (Seattle) – the potential of local food [Sustainable Seattle]
- Buy Local Campaigns in Iowa [Iowa State University]
- Local Food [WorldWatch] [WorldWatch Institute]
- Local Food Systems [USDA ERR97] [USDA]
[If you encounter any problems downloading these files, please notify the webmaster.]