The Transitions Working Group of the Alliance is committed to bringing the Transition Movement to the Lehigh Valley. What we’re planning (as of 9/7/2011):
- An immediate action: forming a Lehigh Valley Transition Hub to serve as a coordinating center for Transition Initiatives throughout the Lehigh Valley, to provide encouragement and support for Transition Initiatives in local communities – so that each community can “be the change”, and to initiate plans for the coming year.
- Since we think this is a critical year for facing up to substantial challenges, both of impending catastrophes and in developing local resilience, we’re treating this as the Year for Crossing the Transition Threshold . . .
- and thinking of what we and others are doing in the coming months as flowing toward Earth Day 2012, Earth Day 2012 to be treated as a community rite of passage, as a crossing of a portal to a new mindset, a new commitment, away from oil dependency and globalization and instead toward the creation of local resilience.
- Creation of local resilience is going to involve a lot of “re-thinking” and “re-skilling” . . .
- and the involvement of people in their communities and that of many organizations working on sustainability.
The Transitions Working Group meets Fridays 8–10am @ Morning Star Center to develop plans. But we are also going out into communities and meeting with people in their communities and with other organizations. Contact us for more info.