Reports, Posters, & Articles by Interns
The following reports, articles, and posters were prepared by students as part of their internship work:
- Global Warning: Why the proper spread and use of information on college campuses is necessary for combating climate change, by Katherine Stevens. [Lafayette 2015.pdf] Internship: Campus Sustainability.
- Health concerns with synthetic turf research by Kendall Garden, Lehigh ’16 & Play It Safe (original poster design also by Kendall Garden)
- Exploring Preliminary Recommendations for the Climate and Sustainability Commitment, by Christina Cilento, Nicole Karsch, & Hanna Brosky. (Interim report, August 2014) [BASD report F1.pdf]. Internship: Climate & Sustainability in Schools.
- Climate and Sustainability Commitment for Bethlehem Area School District (April 2014), by Lindsay Meiman [Lehigh '14]. Internship: Climate Action. BASD Commitment + chart [PDF includes commitment as adopted plus preliminary draft of action steps].
- Beyond Recycling: A Call to Institutionalize Sustainability at Moravian College (June 2013), by Garth Denton-Borhaug [Moravian '13]. Internship: Campus Sustainability [includes attachments; file size ~ 3 MB]
Garth also wrote ‘Moravian College at the United Nations Climate Negotiations‘ for the 2013 Sustainable Lehigh Valley directory.
- Sustainability & Muhlenberg (May 2013), by Leah Boecker [Muhlenberg '15]. Internship: Communications & Media
Leah’s primary work was to analyze, edit, and rewrite web pages on the Alliance website and develop a concept for a new Alliance brochure; she also wrote ‘Sustainability and the Rights of Future Generations‘ for the 2013 Sustainable Lehigh Valley directory and the report listed above.
- Reducing GHG Emissions at Moravian College (April 2012), by Nicole Belanger [Moravian '13]. Internship: Campus Sustainability.
(Note: These recommendations were in connection with a presentation Nicole gave at Moravian.)
- Save Money, Your Health, & the Environment… (Poster, December 2011), by Julia Ward [Lafayette '13]. Internship: Public Health & Sustainability
(Note: This is a low-resolution version of the poster.)
- Fracking the Marcellus — Will Pennsylvania Be Safe or Sorry poster? (Poster, May 2011), by Margaret Allen [Lehigh '12] & Sebastian Grant-Lucania [Lehigh '11]. Internship: Public Health & Sustainability (Grant), Communications & Media (Margaret) (Note: This is a low-resolution version of the poster.)
- Lafayette Dining Services (December 2010), by Christina DeSalva [Lafayette '12]. Internship: Food & Public Health
- Dining Services at Lehigh (August 2010), by Brittany Rodak [Lehigh '12]. Internship: Food & Public Health
- Healthy Food for Healthy Communities (April 2010), by Kaylee Christ & Ali Schklair [Muhlenberg '12]. Internship: Sustainability & Public Health
- Sustainability Plan for St. Luke’s Hospital & Health Network–Preliminary Recommendations (December 2009), by Brenna Bowman [Lehigh '11]. Internship: Campus Sustainability
- Impacts of Sustainable and Industrial Agriculture on Human Health (December 2009), by Codi Gauker [Moravian '11]. Internship: Food & Health
Student essays published in the Sustainable Lehigh Valley directory:
- Adaptive Reuse of Old Buildings, by Hannae Pavlick (2006) [Hannae was then a student at Liberty High School
- Campus Sustainability Initiative, by Elyse Jurgen (2007)
- Local Communities, the First Step Towards a Cooler World, by Lindsay Chamberlain (2007) [Lindsay completed a Climate Protection Internship]
- Whatever We do to the Web of Life, We do to Ourselves, by Jacy Good
- (2008) [In the fall of 2007, Jacy was the first campus sustainability intern at Muhlenberg College]
- The Promise of Permaculture, by Annie Hasz (2008) [Annie was then a student at Warren Wilson College and coordinated the Maze Garden in SouthSide Bethlehem]
- IDon’tNeedtheInternettoMakeaDifference.org, by Emily McGlynn (2008) [Emily was a student at Bryn Mawr College and had worked with the Alliance when she attended the Lehigh Valley High School for the Performing Arts]
- Equality Leads us to a Sustainable Valley, by Adrian Shanker (2008) [Adrian was a junior at Muhlenberg College]
- Local for the Future, by Christina Bianco (2009) [Christina was a student at Lehigh University doing a Climate Protection internship]
- College Students Look Ahead, by Jennifer Menegus (2009)
- Evolve Towards Involvement, by Alexandra Edelstein (2010)
- Rekindling Local Democracy, by Jessica Stuart (2010) [Jessica was a Community Fellow at Lehigh University]
- Sustainability in the Workplace, by Rachel LeWitt
- A Growing Community, by Jennifer Bell (2012) [Jennifer had completed a campus sustainability internship and an independent study on campus food while a student at Lafayette College and was then working as the manager of the organic farm at Lafayette.]
- Moravian College at the United Nations Climate Negotiations, by Garth Denton-Borhaug (2013) [Garth was a senior at Moravian College and also completed a campus sustainability internship.]
- Sustainability and the Rights of Future Generations, by Leah Boecker (2013) [Leah was a sophomore at Muhlenberg College and completed a Communication & Media internship.]
- Forgoing Fossil Fuels, Finally, by Rebecca Canright (2016). Rebecca was finishing up her senior year at North Hunterdon HS.
- The Real Cost of Food, by Stephanie Bennett(2016) Stephanie recently completed her Master’s degree in Environmental Policy Design at Lehigh University.
- The Importance of Teaching About Food, Climate, and Sustainability, by Alyssa Fama (2016) Alyssa is a senior at Kutztown University, with a major in Professional Writing.
- Colleges Lead the Way Towards Sustainability, by Samantha Keenan (2016) Samantha is a senior English major at Moravian College.
- Internships with the Alliance
- Internship Structure & Expectations
- Previous Interns’ Experiences
- Reports, Posters, and Articles by Interns
- Current Internship Opportunities
- How to Apply for an Internship
- Completed Internships, since 2004