Editing & Publishing (Spring 2017)
Help publish the 2017 edition of the Alliance’s annual Sustainable Lehigh Valley booklet, an important outreach to the general public. Update content, edit essays and other written material, contact organizations as needed to gather information, and learn to lay out & edit the final publication using professional publishing software.
Interns will gain experience in creating and editing a publication, strengthen project management skills, learn InDesign professional publishing software, and develop a strong understanding of the elements of sustainability.
We are looking for a student who can take significant responsibility for this project and who has a strong interest in sustainable communities. Your academic major is not as important as your interest and ability to undertake a variety of tasks and work effectively. (Previous interns have come from a wide range of academic disciplines, including Media & Communication, Professional Writing, Economics, Graphic Design, and Art.)
The intern will work as part of the directory team to:
- Communicate with organizations and businesses to compile and update directory listings;
- Communicate with organizations writers & artists as possible contributors;
- Help select essays and artwork; edit essays submitted for publication
- Maintain schedules and other planning to ensure on-time completion
- Lay out and copyedit the publication using InDesign professional publishing software
- Make sure the online and print editions are synchronized
- Assist with other detail tasks involved in publishing these resources
Qualifications: A strong interest in raising awareness and understanding of climate & sustainability and social-justice concerns; attention to detail; strong writing and interpersonal skills; ability to work well independently & as part of a team. Previous experience with InDesign is not required, although good basic computer skills are important.