Clean Air Campaign
Two known aggravating factors for asthma and other respiratory diseases are ground-level ozone and Diesel pollution—and both Lehigh and Northampton counties consistently fail to meet EPA limits for both these pollutants. One result is that this is one of the worst areas in the entire country for asthma sufferers. Unfortunately, most members of the public are not even aware that there is a problem.
The goals of this internship are to increase understanding and awareness of the problem, explore possible solutions, and, ultimately, to help reduce the incidence of childhood asthma here. Interns will work in concert with a team from the Alliance, Bethlehem Partnership for a Healthy Community, Clean Water Action, and others concerned about this issue. Interns will engage in some or all of the following activities:
- Help identify and sample air quality in areas where Diesel pollution is observed to be high
- Help develop an Air Quality Report Card that can be used to recognize positive steps and call attention to areas needing attention
- Work to reduce vehicle idling and to get fleets equipped with Diesel particulate filters
- Meet with government and community leaders to explore options
- Create and distribute educational materials
- Make presentations at public meetings and at schools, colleges, and community groups
This internship offers an opportunity to make changes that could effect future generations of children growing up in the Lehigh Valley. To get started please contact the Alliance and Apply!