Calls to Action
Adrenaline-pumping calls to action from local, regional, state-level, national, and international organizations.
Rallies, Marches, Protests, Courtroom Presences:
- Friday, 9/27/13, 2pm: Pack the courtroom to support putting the Allentown Clean Air Ordinance Initiative on the November ballot.
- Saturday, 9/28/13: Say “NO!” to Drone Warfare – Demonstrate at Air Guard Station, Drone War Command Center, Horsham, Montgomery County. Click here for more info.
- Thursday, 10/10/13, 4:30pm – 5:30pm: Monthly Peace Vigil at the south end of the Hill-to-Hill Bridge (corners of 3rd and Wyandotte Streets) in Bethlehem. Contact Vince Stravino at 610-216-8103 or Tom Ulrich at 610-882-1136 for information.
Tell . . .
- the DEP that you think it important and necessary that they hold a public hearing on their draft air pollution permit for DTE’s incinerator. A public hearing would provide a great opportunity to rally residents in support of clean air in Allentown and to get answers from DEP about the dangerous pollutants that the incinerator will release into the air. To make this hearing happen, it is CRITICAL that people send in request letters to DEP. Here’s a link to a document from Breena Holland that gives easy directions on where to send the letter and what it needs to include. The document also offers a list of reasons for why DEP should hold a public hearing on this issue. You are welcome to borrow any of these reason in writing your own letter. There is also a sample letter at the end of the document. The letters must to be received by October 4th, so I hope folks can do this soon. Let me know if I can help or if you have any questions. Breena Holland
From Clean Water Action:
Tell Your Senators to Oppose Another Polluter Giveaway! Without a federal rule, coal ash disposal will continue to be regulated through a patchwork of weak state standards, which have allowed the water and air in at least 36 states to be poisoned with arsenic, lead, mercury and other hazardous substances. Tell your Senators to oppose S. 3512 and to support EPA establishing long-overdue safeguards to protect communities and the environment from toxic coal ash waste.
Tell Your Senators to listen to the community and consider the environment when deciding whether to allow new mines! In the name of promoting “critical” mineral development in the United States, S. 1113, the Critical Minerals Policy Act of 2012, could muffle or silence community and environmental concerns when new mines are proposed. Tell your Senators to say oppose S. 1113.
Boycott Food Companies that Oppose GMO Labeling
You may be surprised to learn that major organic brands oppose labeling of GMOs in foods. Organic Consumers Association, Cornucopia Institute, Mercola.com, and Natural News, have pointed out the gross hypocrisy and greed of large food and beverage corporations that sell billions of dollars worth of organic and natural food—and are bankrolling the opposition to GMO labeling. More (including a list of the brands)…→
Oppose Waste Incinerator in Allentown
Re: Allentown’s ill-conceived DTE waste-to-energy enterprise. At the 5/16/12 Allentown City Council meeting, “council members Jeanette Eichenwald and Ray O’Connell were unable to convince their colleagues to join them in thwarting a controversial trash-to-electricity plant being proposed on Klines Island. The project is opposed by environmentalists, including the city’s own Environmental Advisory Council.” (See rest of WFMZ’s coverage of this important matter at the “also” end of their article on “City council moves toward ensuring Allentown gets swimming pools in the future”!) More info and resources…→
Links to Action Pages of Other Organizations:
- Change.org’s Petitions – change.org – has free online petition tools that anyone can use for social change: start, join, and win campaigns for social change.
- Clean Water Action: Action Center
- Food & Water Watch: Action Alerts